Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My sister wrote this about her first 1/2 Marathon Experience.....

Whahooooooooooo I am happy to say I survived the Disney Half Marathon. 13.1 miles
I am sad to say they did not let me finish because I was two minutes passed the allowed time - but made it TO the Castle plus headed 2.3 miles back to the finish. I really wanted to keep going and I think I could have a least made it to 10 - but .. the bus was blocking the roadway - with a group of clapping cheering folks saying you did great.. but you are done :( the bus was full. John could have finished but he chose to stay with me. Never left my side.

My sister and her husband finished the race at a respectable time. We are all so proud of them. What a challenge!

We kept qualifying for the next mile - but only by seconds -they would come up and tell us..if you can speed it up.. you have 2 minutes to make it to the next marker - so we started running - and made it .. then the next battle for the next marker - I think my downfall was a steep hill..I lost my breathe - slowed me up a bit.. BUT
I got to pass the Contemporary, Main street, the Castle, Thunder Mountain and even the backlot to wave to Capt. Jack on the Pirate ship! My first 1/2 marathon ever - and I am living to tell about it! teehee... Johns also.
He could have cared less about going - he did it to be my partner - what a guy.

As you will see in our picture - my sister and her hubby - and myself and John - Brother in law awarded me his medal for going beyond the call of duty - beyond the "poll" of when I would drop out.. teehee or better yet when the stretchers would carry me off.. it was a beautiful and a heartfelt speech and it meant the world to me. I wore it the rest of the day :) Well, I finished at the 8.3 mark.. 2:20min then they made me quit. Maybe next time. ;)

No comments: